Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Cantankerous

(photo taken from Battlecollege.com)

The Cankerworm. This bonejack was a bit of a terror in Warmachine Mk 1. I've heard comments about it from people ranging so-so to disappointing in Mk 2. Mine is still in its blister pack waiting to be put together hence the picture above from Battlecollege.

Being a first time Cryx player and not having seen much of it in Mk 1, I find its rules ok on paper. It's speedy, stealthy, has a high enough melee attack stat. I like Armor Piercing weapons of which this model has in its Bite attack. It has a tail attack as well. It can take a weapon from a wrecked jack and use it as its own as well as heal itself from the wrecked jack. Defensive abilities are right there with the other bonejacks and it can disengage without eating a free strike.

Personally I like it. Sounds like a very opportunistic model. I can see it in a Cryx army as a counterattacker or finisher of jacks. It won't be in the front line that's for sure but following. It has an Imprint with Asphyxious that might allow it to be placed in the front line as it can move after its activation. Deneghra can also help it as well as the Witch Coven. I probably won't be able to use it with Venethrax. However that's all on paper.

Speaking from a Khador player's perspective, the Cankerworm is a threat to my jacks and so I have to use my infantry to help keep it from damaging my jacks. A line of blockers would be best as the Cankerworm can't finish them all and infantry would have the best chance of catching up with them.

On the Legion side, I have quite a few beasts which can counter the model's speed and armor. The nice thing is the Cankerworm can't salvage anything from beasts so I can afford to be more aggressive with my beasts against it. Also have warrior models which can keep it honest.

I'll be putting it together later today. Hope to have it painted up and used in the future.

UPDATE: Here's my Cankerworm. I pinned the head and the body and tail together. The fangs I had to just glue together because I don't have a drill bit that can drill that small. Still a bit cloudy and cold so I won't basecoat it for now. But at least it's a work in progress.


No comments: